In the city of Tiruchirappalli, Tamil Nadu, India, St.Mary’s Cathedral, famously known as ” Mother of Good Health” in vernacular “Arockia Matha”, involves a one of a kind spot not just it is probably the most seasoned places of worship in Tamil Nadu yet had been the “Mother Church” of five sees bifurcated out of its locale during these 170 years of its reality.The sources of the basilica can be followed to the early many years of the seventeenth century, when Jesuit teachers started spreading Christianity through the Madurai Mission. The main transformations happened in the zone known as Tiruchirappalli, likewise called “Trichy”, in 1616. The evangelists in the end got support from the Hindu Naicker leaders of Madurai. The numerous Jesuit teachers who worked in the Madurai Mission included Robert de Nobili and Constanzo Beschi.
While Trichy was as yet a crucial of the Madurai Mission, a few Christian people group were set up in Palakkarai, Dharmanathapuram, and Varaganeri. Indeed, even before the development of the Holy Redeemer Church, there were nearly 7500 Christians in the territory. They venerated at the St. Mary’s Cathedral, Trichy, as opposed to at Our Lady of Sorrows on the grounds that the last was under the organization of the Portuguese Padroado.
Understanding the requirement for the Christians of Palakkarai to have their very own congregation, Bishop Alexis Canoz, S.J. established the framework for another congregation on 9 February 1880. The congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer was blessed on 29 June 1881 by the Vicar Apostolic of Pondicherry, Msgr. François-Jean-Marie Laouënan, M.E.P.
The land for the development of the congregation was a blessing from the neighborhood ruler, Diwan Kanjamalai Medullar.